Thursday, August 12, 2010

Rough Around the Edges Kopi’r Porotha

My constant cravings make me forget I am a Bengali who cannot make perfect rotis or parathas. But a little aspiration never hurt anyone.

But thank you Miss Cauliflower for being the Miss Congeniality of this recipe, and letting me make almost-perfect parathas with you!

55850966 Unlike the traditional Gobhi ka Paratha, my parathas have everything thrown in raw and kneaded with the flour. But these parathas have to be made instantly as the salt will start the moisture release in the dough and will make it soggy. Which from my experience will make it impossible for even an expert to handle the dough.IMG_0162

Ingredients for Kopi’r Porotha (Bengali for Gobhi ka Paratha) are:

2 + half cups atta/ wheat flour
1 cup grated cauliflower
1 inch knob of ginger grated
5-6 green chilies, very finely chopped
Handful of coriander leaves, very finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
Half teaspoon ajwain/ carom seeds
Half teaspoon red chili powder
Salt
Canola oil

In a large bowl, mix together cauliflower, ginger, chilies, coriander, cumin and ajwain seeds, red chili, two cups flour and salt. Drizzle about a tablespoon of oil and knead well, adding water little by little.

IMG_0148 IMG_0149

Make golf ball-size portions of the dough. With a rolling pin, roll out parathas/flat breads. You will need to dust your dough with dry flour while you are rolling out the parathas.IMG_0156

Heat a tava/skillet and roast the paratha for a couple of minutes on each side. Spread a little oil on each side and toast till the paratha gets browned at the edges. IMG_0157 IMG_0158 IMG_0159

Though a little rough around the edges, these parathas are bursting with natural flavors. I especially like the taste of ginger, green chilies and ajwain in it, which makes it very earthy, very rustic.

IMG_0160 I like my Kopi’r Porotha with a little sweet, mango pickle/chutney and a hot cup of chai.

IMG_0164 But the possibilities of eating this paratha with the condiment of your choice is endless…just like its flavors!

4 comments:

Kamini said...

Yumminess all around!Love gobi and mooli parathas. I must try it this way though, seems much easier than the traditional stuffing inside etc etc....! Looks amazing Pree!

GB said...

I never thought of this! Next time I make gobi parathas I have to try this method. hot chai and paratha sounds good right now. got back from the dentist and I'm waiting for sensation to come back to my (what feels like, but isn't really) swollen jaw. I hate dentists.

Jaya M said...

Pree,

Kopir porotha dekhe r mango chutney pase ..ki jey khete iche hoche..stuffing diye ami korina eyi bhabhe korle besh bhalo hoye..
hugs and smiles

Supriya said...

Hi!
A few months back I got to know about your fb page and blog and since then I have been reading your posts everyday.
I am so in love with your blog.
I am fond of plants so your posts regarding plants give me inspiration.
Yesterday I made gobi ke paranthe by following your recipe. I also added grated carrots and they turned out super-delicious.